Sunday 14 January 2018

Sunday Snippet - Winter Boughs

Although I've submitted one card to Pixie's Snippets Playground already for this fortnight, and therefore cannot submit another, I decided to share another snippet make today.

The topper is a leftover scrap from some experimenting I did with embossing folders, moldable foam and distress inks a very long time ago - way back in February 2014, you can see the how-to post here. Two years is too long to remember everything I did at the time - heck, at my age I'm happy if I can remember what I did yesterday! - but I'll do my best.

To make this card I did the following:

  • I used one sheet of light aqua cardstock (Papermill Direct) and trimmed it to form a 5" square tent fold card base
  • For the topper I trimmed the leftover scrap of stamped and inked card to a usable size and matted it on to teal card to frame it. I think I may have used a mix of Evergreen Bough and Shaded Lilac distress inks for this piece and the embossing folder used is Sizzix Winter Botanicals.
  • Next, I trimmed more of the teal card and some silver embossed pattern card I found tucked away - I think it's very old Kanban - to fit the front of the card. 
  • Finally, aqua dew drops were glued to two corners and I decorated the leaves and flowers on the topper with Stickles Baby Blue - that doesn't show up well in the photo but it is there. 

I like that it's a winter theme but not necessarily a Christmas one - it's a card that would suit a winter birthday or it could fit a number of occasions - thanks, sympathy or even just a very nice notecard to send to someone.

I will be submitting this card to the following challenge:

Craftyhazelnut's Patterned Paper January 2018 - A challenge that is always about using Patterned Papers

I have decided that for the foreseeable future, all cards I'll be making and sharing will have a snippet or two, or three or four, in the design somewhere. The reason for this is that, during operation clear up,  I have unearthed a lifetime's worth of leftovers - okay I could be accused of exaggerating just a little - but it's easily ten years worth. It's too difficult to throw them away so I've set myself a target to use up the majority in the next few weeks. Only three made today and given that I'm easily distracted I could be some time!

Hope you have had a wonderful weekend.

Happy Crafting,

6 comments:

AlisonC said...

Your card is gorgeous. I love the winter colours. I know what you mean about the papers and don't really think 'lifetime' is an exaggeration. I could probably make cards for the rest of my life without buying anything much apart from a bit of white card. At lease you know what you've got now.

Carole Pollard said...

Lovely design so pretty Love and hugs Carole x

Liz said...

Beautiful card, Elizabeth, lovely design. I don't think I'll ever use all the card, paper and snippets I have. I think I probably have enough to last several lifetimes! LOL! xx

Megan J said...

Hi Elizabeth, a very pretty card, love the centre panel with the silver patterned piece behind it, I have been having a good tidy and also have a very large supply of leftover scraps, I usually head to my scrap boxes first before cutting into a full sheet of paper... Have a wonderful week... Megan

cuilliesocks said...

Absolutely beautiful Elizabeth, lovely colours and design, Kate x

Di said...

Beautiful card Elizabeth! So funny, I was just thinking about you and the moldable stamps you sent me only yesterday! Remember the card you made using buttons? That's what kicked off the trip down Memory Lane.I must have another play.

I'm just the same about snippets - and as others have said I always head for the snippets folder first, When I say folder - it's one of those concertina style ones and there's no way I can close i - it's a good two foot from front to back now! Good for you embarking on a plan to use yours up. It's a shame I cut entries down to only one and of course now the challenge is only once a fortnight - but, why now save your most ingenious makes as entries so that folk can pick up ideas. And you can always put more than one card in your entry post of course.

Hugs

Di xx